Welcome to WARD HAVEN
Youth & Adult Retreat Center
The Picnic Pavilion will accommodate approximately 175 persons. Included in its use is the nearby Bathhouse and a handicapped restroom which is available in the Log Cabin.
The three air-conditioned and heated Lodges are “Shenandoah,” “Beacon” and “Catawba.” Each lodge will sleep a total of 24 guests. There are six bunk rooms with 2 bunkbeds per room in each Lodge.
“Shenandoah” is recommended for overnight groups of up to 24 guests. A multi-purpose Kitchen/Dining/Meeting area is on one end of the lodge. It is equipped with tables and chairs, hot water, refrigerator, freezer, stove and microwave. No cooking utensils, plates, silverware, etc. are included.
A combination of “Beacon” and “Catawba” Lodges is recommended for overnight groups of 25 to 48 guests. “Catawba” includes a food preparation and dining area seating 42 persons. No cooking utensils, plates, silverware, etc. are included. “Beacon” includes a multi-purpose Meeting/Conference Room.
A combination of all three Lodges will be necessary for groups of from 49 to 72 overnight guests. The nearby Bathhouse is heated and air-conditioned and is available to all groups using Ward Haven.
The Log Cabin is designed for use as an Adult Conference Center. A comfortable capacity is 18 persons. It has a cozy seating area around the stone fireplace, and an adjacent conference-table style meeting area with a large dry-erase board. There is also a small kitchen with a stove, refrigerator, microwave oven and coffee pot. However, you must bring your own cooking utensils, plates, pots and silverware, etc. The restroom is handicapped accessible. No children’s activities are permitted in the Log Cabin.
An Outdoor Amphitheater worship area seating approximately 100 persons is located to the rear of Shenandoah lodge. There is no cost for its use if used with other reserved facilities. However, it should be reserved when making your reservations.
Recreational Facilities include: Kickball Field, Basketball/Volleyball Court, Horseshoes, and a sandy Children’s Play Area. There are Walking Trails and Gazebos designed for private conversations or small-group actitivies.
Ice should be brought by your group. Extra ice may be found in each freezer if the previous guest replaced what they used. Replace what you use before you leave. The next group will thank you!
Ward Haven may be used by more than one group at a time making sharing sometimes necessary. Planning ahead and making appropriate reservations with the Associational Office is always helpful.
Directions to Ward Haven
Exit 1-81 at exit 140 or 141. Get on 311N (towards New Castle.) Drive 2.3 miles. Turn left onto Rt. 864 (Bradshaw Rd.) and drive 1.6 miles. At the convenience store you may bear right (still Rt. 864) and drive .9 miles to Ward Haven, or keep straight .8 miles (now Rt. 622), past the Fire and Rescue Building to Rt. 699. Turn Right. Drive .7 miles to the Stop Sign. The Ward Haven Sign will be on your left.
Guidelines for Ward Haven Retreat Center
Ward Haven is a ministry of the Roanoke Valley Baptist Association. The policies are designed to provide a positive experience for all who use the facilities. The general policies are:
1. Requests for the use of the facility will be held on a tentative status for one week. A waiting list will be maintained, and if a completed reservation form and all fees have not been received within a week, others on the waiting list for that date will be notified. All fees must accompany the Request Form to confirm reservations. If a cancellation is necessary, thirty (30) days notice is required in order to receive a refund.
2. Keys for the retreat center must be picked up at the Associational Office (3926 Plantation Road), Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 2:00 pm. Keys should be returned to the office on the next business day.
3. The leader of each group is responsible for the conduct of those who use the facility as well as the cleaning and locking of the facilities upon departure. Each group is responsible for any damage incurred during its stay.
4. Youth and children’s groups using the facilities must have at least two (2) adult supervisors for every ten (10) children or youth. With all-male youth and children’s groups at least one (1) of the supervisors must be an adult male. With all-female youth and children’s groups at least one (1) of the supervisors must be an adult female. With any mixed youth and children’s groups, one (1) of the supervisors must be an adult male and the other an adult female.
5. Groups are responsible for cleaning all the facilities they used. This includes appliances (Ovens, Cookstove, Refrigerators and Freezers). All trash must be put in the dumpster in trash bags. Remember, another group may come immediately after your group leaves, so leave it clean. A dumpster is located in the main parking lot.
6. Please note any problems or suggestions on the Ward Haven Registration Form you received when the keys were picked up. Be certain to also register the number of persons in your group on the form.
7. Ward Haven is a Smoke Free environment. Smoking is not permitted on the grounds nor inside any of the buildings, including the Bathhouse.
8. Absolutely no alcoholic beverages, drugs, firearms, or fireworks will be permitted at any time.
9. Do NOT move or remove the chairs and tables or other furnishings from the Lodges or Log Cabin.
10. The bringing of Dogs (pets) is STRONGLY discouraged!
11. All vehicles must be parked and driven ONLY in designated areas. Please do NOT drive on the grass.
12. Open fires are prohibited unless approved by the Ward Haven Maintenance Supervisor at least one day in advance.
13. Any problems which prohibit the effective use of the facility (plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, water, etc.) can be reported 24 hours a day by calling 580-8474.
14. In order to maximize the use of Ward Haven, unreserved facilities may on occasion be reserved by other groups. Some sharing of facilities may then become necessary.
The term “day” refers to a 24-hour period.